The CAVES AND ENTREPOTS DE MOULIS (Moulis Cellars and Warehouses) were built in 1871 in the heart of the Upper Médoc, next to the Moulis railway station. At the time, the owners were the PETIT-LAROCHE family, 19th-century wine merchants, whose head office was located 104 cours Saint-Louis in Bordeaux.
The family chose the location near the station because horse-drawn carriages had only a short distance to cover to load their wines on trains travelling to destinations throughout Europe. As Messrs Petit Laroche put it at the time: “The purpose of the Entrepôts de Moulis Company is to market, both in Bordeaux and abroad, Médoc wines stored in cellars built by the company opposite Moulis station, a central location between Margaux, Pauillac, Saint-Julien and Saint-Estèphe”.
MAUCAILLOU” means “mauvais cailloux”, the French for bad stone, as the term was understood by the farmers of the middle ages, given that this type of gravel plot was not suitable for growing cereal, the main source of livelihood at the time. It was later discovered that such gravel outcrops constituted an ideal terroir for highly expressive vineyards.