About the domain
Château Léoville Barton was born out of the division of the Léoville estate in 1826, when Hugh Barton, an Irishman who already owned Château Langoa in Saint-Julien, bought part of the vineyard. Thus a new great name in the Bordeaux region was born, alongside the two other plots of land resulting from the sale, Léoville Las Cases and Léoville Poyferré. Today, almost two centuries later, the estate still belongs to the Barton family, an unusual situation in Bordeaux where transactions have always been going well. Anthony Barton, who became owner in 1983, has succeeded in making people forget the difficult vintages of the Second World War and the period of decline in the 1970s, by signing a spectacular revival, particularly noticeable since 1985. A remarkable 2000 vintage inaugurated the 21st century in beauty, followed by a simply sublime 2005. Among the estate’s many assets, a high proportion of old vines and the use of traditional wooden vats, deliberately kept when most of the Bordeaux Crus were parting with them in favour of the innovation of the time, the stainless steel vat. As the vineyard has neither a château nor a wine storehouse built on this land, it is at Langoa Barton that the vinification and maturing process takes place.
About the cuvée
The Cabernet Sauvignon makes up the majority of this cuvée and is complemented by Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. On tasting, it expresses itself through a ruby colour and an intense nose of red and black fruits and liquorice. Its body and fullness give it persistence, good ageing potential and the ability to go well with dishes of character.