Chateau Maucaillou

The château was built in 1875 in a very Baroque style that was popular at the time. It was surrounded by five hectares of vines.

The Dourthe brothers, Roger and André, devoted their efforts to expanding the vineyard when they arrived at the estate in 1929, succeeding in attaining twenty hectares in 1967. At this point, Roger’s son, Philippe, became manager. He added a further 67 hectares over a forty-year period, including vines on the three finest rises in Moulis. In 2007, Philippe Dourthe handed over management to his children Caroline, Pascal, and Magali. A fully-qualified team respectful of the Dourthe winemaking philosophy is now in control. A draconian selection at harvest time, precision winemaking in temperature-controlled vats, and careful ageing in barrel produce wines with a sumptuous colour, as well as rich, concentrated aromas, subtle tannin, and an astonishingly long aftertaste.

Château Maucaillou has won numerous medals and regularly receives good reviews from critics.